Casey House’s Inpatient Program provides specialized, interprofessional HIV/AIDS care for people living with the advanced stages of HIV/AIDS. Most of the people admitted to Casey House are able to return home with their health stabilized in a matter of weeks with ongoing support through our community nursing program.
There are three types of care provided: sub-acute, palliative and respite.
Our Inpatient Program offers:
- 24-hour care by doctors, nurses and other health care professionals
- Social work services
- Complementary therapies including massage, aromatherapy and Therapeutic Touch
- Recreational therapy
- Physiotherapy and occupational therapy
An enduring element of our inpatient program is compassionate palliative care, for people experiencing the final stages of life with HIV/AIDS. Our skilled and highly experienced team of caregivers support clients and their loved ones through the final days or weeks of life, ensuring that the client’s wishes are followed with dignity and compassion.
Clients can be admitted for sub-acute rehabilitative care when the level of care cannot be met in a long-term care setting or with home care support. Inpatient care consists of: pain management, symptom control, post-hospital discharge support and family support. Our medical staff are specialized in treating HIV co-morbidities including hepatitis C, lymphoma, HIV-related dementia, diabetes, cardiac and psychiatric symptoms.
Discharge planning is initiated from the moment of admission, to work towards a smooth transition back to the community and to ensure that the client’s needs continue to be addressed after discharge.
Palliative/end of life care
Clients with HIV/AIDS requiring end of life care are admitted to Casey House as a priority. Palliative care for these clients includes pain control and symptom management. Clients who choose to spend their final days at home may be transferred to home with the support of family and friends. The Home Care Program and other services are provided by Casey House in partnership with Community Care Access Centres. Read more about our approach to palliative care.
One dedicated respite care bed enables a client to be cared for at Casey House for up to 14 days as he/she accesses specialized health care, frequently when recovering from a surgery or other health complications related to HIV/AIDS.
Respite admissions are pre-booked based on the order of application received, and can be a valuable option when experiencing HIV/AIDS symptoms that require intensive management (such as difficulty adjusting to new medication.) A two-week stay at Casey House, with 24-hour care, is often just what people need to get their health back under control. Additionally, family or friends frequently need a break for a week or two. The respite bed provides relief and security not only for our clients, but for their loved ones as well.
For more information about admissions, please contact 416-962-7600 and ask for the Intake Worker.
For other inquiries about our care, please contact Kathryn van der Horden, Clinical Manager, at 416-962-7600 ext 298
Are you coming to stay with us?
Here are some items you should bring:
- Health Card and any current hospital cards
- Current medications
- A list of any allergies to drugs or food
- Information about Healthcare and Service Providers:
- Names and contact information for doctors, including family doctor and any and all specialists involved in your healthcare (business cards are useful)
- The name (business card) of your dentist
- Names and contact information for community workers and service providers you would like to stay in contact with
- Important phone numbers and addresses (ideally in a notebook with blank pages for new numbers)
- Names and contact information of family, friends and loved ones who are aware that you are at Casey House and who you may like to see during your stay.
- Comfortable clothing: sweater, t-shirts, sweatpants, pajamas, housecoat, slippers and shoes.
- Photos or small items from home which bring comfort.
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap,hairbrush, lip balm, body lotion, nail file (clipper), etc.
Click here to download the full resident manual for more information.